The simple answer is YES, and you have the luxurious choice of a multi-island snorkel tour or an evening sunset tour.
The Great Barrier Reef is one of the world's most breathtaking natural wonders, and a World Heritage Listed icon, and for those visiting the eastern coast of Australia, it's a must-see destination. Whilst Cairns and Port Douglas are known as the gateways to exploring the Great Barrier Reef, and the Whitsundays well-known for sailing holidays, Mackay located further south, offers a unique and more tranquil gateway to this marine wonderland. In this blog, we'll explore how you can access the Great Barrier Reef from Mackay and delve into two incredible experiences: a multi-island snorkel tour and an evening sunset tour.
Getting to the Great Barrier Reef from Mackay: Mackay, a vibrant coastal city known for its stunning beaches and tropical climate, serves as an excellent base for exploring the Great Barrier Reef. Located approximately 300 kilometres south of Cairns, and 137km from the Whitsundays, Mackay is less crowded and offers a more relaxed atmosphere, making it a great choice for travellers seeking a more intimate experience with the reef.
- Multi-Island Snorkel Tour: One of the most exciting ways to experience the Great Barrier Reef from Mackay is by embarking on a multi-island snorkel tour. These tours typically take you to several pristine reef locations, each with its unique underwater ecosystem. Here's what you can expect from such a tour:
a. Snorkelling in Crystal-Clear Waters: Join an experienced guide and dive into the crystal-clear waters of the reef. As you snorkel among vibrant corals and swim alongside a myriad of marine species, you'll feel like you've entered an underwater paradise.
b. Exploring Diverse Marine Life: The Great Barrier Reef is home to an incredible diversity of marine life, including colourful fish, sea turtles, and various coral species. Keep your eyes peeled for these fascinating creatures as you explore the reef.
c. Visiting Remote Islands: Multi-island snorkel tours often include stops at secluded islands, providing an opportunity to relax on pristine sandy beaches and soak up the sun between snorkelling sessions.
d. Expert Guidance: Guides are knowledgeable about the reef's ecosystems, ensuring that you have a safe and educational experience. They can identify different species and share fascinating insights about the reef's conservation efforts.
- Brand new custom-built vessel for the Mackay conditions
- Stable catamaran so alleviates concerns regarding seasickness
- Full-day tour 9:00 am - 4:00 pm which means more time to spend at iconic locations
- On-board licensed bar for cold drinks plus tea and coffee throughout the day
- On-board toilet for passenger comfort plus individual seating with back support
- All-inclusive of lycra suit, snorkelling equipment, fins and wetsuits (winter months) and paddleboards (numbers limited)
- All-Inclusive of morning tea/lunch and afternoon tea freshly made and locally catered
- Beach drop off’s available (weather & tide dependent)
- Rooftop viewing platform
- Visit the best locations on and around the Mackay Islands
- Experienced and knowledgeable crew members to keep you safe and informed
- The ultimate way to travel around Mackay Island in just one day!
- Proud Climate Action Leaders
- Australian owned, and family operated business for the past 10 years
- We are the elite guiding experience and are proud to be Australia's only marine accredited Savannah Guide Enterprise
- 2018 and 2019 Gold winners for the best "Major Tour and Transport Operator" in Australia!
- 2021 Gold winner for the best "Adventure Tourism" Business in Australia!
Evening Sunset Tour: After a day of underwater exploration, treat yourself to a magical evening sunset tour. These tours offer a unique perspective of the Great Barrier Reef and its surroundings as the sun sets over the horizon. Here's what you can expect:
Spectacular Scenery: As you cruise along the reef in the late afternoon, you'll be treated to breathtaking views of the turquoise waters, the reef's formations, and the vibrant colours of the setting sun.
Wildlife Encounters: Keep an eye out for wildlife, as the evening is a prime time for spotting marine animals such as dolphins, whales, and various seabird species. Your guides will provide valuable insights into the region's ecology and behaviour patterns.
Sunset Over the Great Barrier Reef: The highlight of the tour is undoubtedly the sunset itself. Witnessing the sun dip below the horizon and cast a warm, golden glow over the reef is a moment you'll treasure forever.
Stargazing Opportunity: As the day turns into night, you may also have the chance to enjoy some stargazing. The clear skies over the Great Barrier Reef offer excellent visibility for spotting constellations and celestial wonders.
While Mackay may not be as widely known as other Australian cities for accessing the Great Barrier Reef, it offers a serene and captivating experience for travellers seeking an escape from the crowds. From multi-island snorkel tours that immerse you in the reef's underwater beauty to evening sunset tours that provide a different perspective altogether, Mackay has something extraordinary to offer every nature lover and adventurer. So, if you're planning a trip to the Great Barrier Reef, consider starting your journey from this hidden gem on the Queensland coast.
Learn more about the Great Barrier Reef on our blogs.