Take a 45 minute scenic boat ride from Cairns to spend a day snorkelling and scuba diving on Fitzroy Island, or do some hiking up to the top of the island up to the lighthouse then thru the rainforest to the secret garden.
Fitzroy Island is a large tropical continental island surrounded by its own fringing coral reef in an area that is a known underwater highway for migrating marine life on the Great Barrier Reef with currents in the deeper water that allow them to move along at a faster pace just like you see the turtles in the movie Finding Nemo!
The area where you dive and snorkel is north to the Great Barrier Reef and is always crystal clear and protected from the southerly winds.
Each day from Cairns we provide fast ferry boat transfers to and from Fitzroy Island so visitors can spend the day exploring the coral reefs and the mountainous terrain or instead just relax and enjoy the ambience and have a nice lunch in the restaurant with a few tropical cocktails as you watch all the action happening before your eyes
Tropical Islands are for lazing about and Fitzroy Island is one you can choose to be super active or super lazy.
Fitzroy Island is the perfect reef trip day adventure for all ages.
Guests will need to begin check in at the Reef Fleet Terminal in Cairns at 8.30am – 9.15am with the transfer catamaran departing at 9.30am for Fitzroy Island.
The friendly staff at the ferry counter will issue your boat tickets and direct you to the Marlin Marina. Enjoy complimentary tea and coffee on board before departing.
The return transfer boat will collect you from Fitzroy Island jetty at 4.30pm and you should arrive back in Cairns at around 5.30pm.
Great Barrier Reef Activities
Fitzroy Island is a mecca for fun water and land activities, relax or be active both can be enjoyed here.
A large range of beach hire equipment is available for hire from the Raging Thunder Beach Hut.
Explore the island by foot as there are many hiking tracks suited to different fitness levels on Fitzroy.
Take a tour through the turtle rehabilitation centre or just relax under a tree beachside.
In Water Activities
The Beach Hut is located just to the right of the Fitzroy Island jetty as you disembark your ferry boat transfer vessel. Hire your choice of water activities equipment or join a tour:
• Snorkelling equipment - explore the fringing reefs and rocky outcrops home to many species of colourful reef fish and marine life including a number of Green Turtles that inhabit the area. Buoyancy jackets and lycra suits also available.
• Stand up paddle boards – take a relaxing paddle around the calm waters of Fitzroy. Keep an eye out for turtles surfacing for a breath of fresh air.
• Paddle Skis – cruise around the clear blue waters of Welcome Bay in a single or double paddle ski.
• Ocean Trampoline – bounce yourselves silly on this purpose built trampoline located just off the beach.
• Coral Viewing Board – keep your hair dry and view the remarkable reefs and marine life that are just metres off the beaches.
• Glass Bottom Boat Tours – stay dry aboard the Glass Bottom Boat tour as it ventures out to favourite reef spots off Fitzroy to witness the corals and huge variety of marine life.
Fitzroy Island Activities
Discover Fitzroy Island by foot with a variety of hikes that venture up through the mountain range and amidst tropical rainforests that cover the island.
A variety of reptiles, birdlife and flying foxes call Fitzroy Island home and may be seen as you follow the tracks. Choose a hike to suit your fitness levels:
• Lighthouse Track – 3.6km approx. 1.5 hours return
• Summit Circuit – 4.2km approx. 2.5 hours return
• Secret Garden – 1km approx. 45 minutes return
• Nudey Beach – 1.2km – approx. 45 minutes return
Cairns Turtle Rehabilitation Centre
Visit the Turtle Rehabilitation Centre and meet the current patients. Tours depart daily at 2pm for a maximum of 15 people. Bookings are taken on the day only and can be organised at the Fitzroy Island Resort reception.
All monies go toward assisting the on-going turtle care.
Dining On Fitzroy Island - Foxy’s Bar and Café
Open daily for lunch Foxy’s has an appetising casual dining menu and overlooks the pristine coral beach. Foxy’s is fully licensed with a great selection beers, wines and tropical cocktails to match the scenery.
Upgrade to a Great Barrier Reef Pontoon Day Tour
Join us for an Outer Barrier Reef tour at beautiful Moore Reef where you can scuba dive, snorkel, swim with a huge variety of marine life and/or take in a scenic helicopter flight from the pontoon to see the reef from above and below the water’s surface. See today’s best deal here.
If you are making your own way / self drive to the Reef Fleet Terminal, please note your check in is at 8:30am
January - December
45 minute cruise to Fitzroy Island
Over 5 hours on Fitzroy Island
Scuba Diving – minimum age 12
Scuba Diving Restrictions
Any bookings cancelled within 72 hours of departure will be subject to a cancellation charge. A 100% cancellation fee will be charged for FIT passengers cancelling within 24 hours of departure.
Prices are AUD, per adult and include all levies fees and taxes.
Tour Code: 115